Holy Exploding Mouse!

• January 6th, 2011
  • Blog Post
  • 6 Comments
  • drogggAdmin

So this posting is more of a personal story I felt like sharing rather than any tips, tricks, or references. I just felt I had to say something about the kind of service I experienced in dealing with an issue with Apple.

So I was on the phone the other day when a loud popping sound went off, similar to a balloon bursting but it also sounded like glass breaking. I finished my call to try to find out had happened and … nothing. I couldn’t see anything amiss. It wasn’t until I tried to use my mouse when I found the battery backing off including one of the plastic rails on the bottom. Looking further I found that the battery had literally exploded inside the mouse. Crazy.

So I was stuck not being able to do anything on my iMac while I just sat and saw the emails roll in.

An unscheduled trip to the Apple store was in order.

I packed up the pieces of once working wireless Mac mouse and hit the trail to the Eaton Centre Apple store. Of course all while I should be working – so I was in a rush and had no time to go digging around for any semblance of paperwork/proof of payment. Said a little prayer that they will have record on their system, I mean it’s Apple after all.

Approaching the store I  was immediately amazed at how freakin busy the story was, I mean Christmas is over, boxing day sales have gone, but man it was jamming. Almost busier than when I did go there during Christmas. I was expecting a long boring unproductive wait.

I was waiting in line at the genius bar when I was approached by a staff member and she asked if she could assist me.

Alright – now I have to explain I have a mouse that exploded and I have no way of proving purchase date or basically anything. SO here goes…this is the account of what happened as best as I can remember.

“uh ok you might not believe this but my mouse… it well, uh I was on the phone and it basically just blew up.”

“It blew up?”

“uh, yup.”

“hmmm, I’ve never heard of that happening before”

“Well you could only imagine my surprise then. It’s really important in my work and I’m losing time.”

“Ok no problem, do you have your receipt with you?”

“uh…. no sorry I just thought you might be able to find me on the system. I bought only a couple of months ago.”

“Ok do you have the credit card you used”

“Sure thing here you go”

So far none of the resistance or fifth degree I was expecting. She shortly returned saying that she couldn’t find any record of the transaction on the computer but not to worry because someone was bringing a new mouse out for me.

Within about 2 minutes I was at the till, the new mouse scanned in and I was on my way – the whole experience took maybe ten minutes max. No receipt and no hassle – awesome!

I know I am a bit of a flag waver when it comes to Mac but this just made my attitude towards Mac even stronger. So thanks Apple, I was able to get back to work quickly and finish the work for the day with the least bit of trouble that could be expected for such a thing as a mouse exploding.

The only thing I regret was in the haste to get back to work I didn’t take any pictures.

1. HYIP Monitoring left a comment on January 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Why aren’t there bullet-proof pants?

• drogggAdmin left a comment on January 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hmmmm you might be onto something there.

2. King Ka-Ching left a comment on April 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

Oh, come on man, enough with the bullshit. Apple store in Eaton’s store is the worst. They have spies there, eavesdropping on my conversations with sales people and then pulling the sales people away from me because they don’t like my conversations with their sales people. Apple’s management is sneaky and devious.

And also, why do you keep buying their overpriced hardware? They are ripping you to shreds. Study their hardware a little better and you will realize they are just a bunch of criminals, putting cheap parts in their machines and then selling those machines for 3 times more than what they are truly worth. And Windows 7 rocks. there is no reason to stick with Mac OS X. If you want something based on Unix like Mac OS X, choose Linux and be happy for free. Linux is so awesome, but people are too lazy to look into it so they just dismiss it.

Also please google ‘iphone spying on you’ for the privacy invasion and other ways Apple is spying on you and watching your every move. Now you will be a lot less enthusiastic about (CR)Apple, unless you are really ignorant and you don’t care at all about your money.

By the way, if you go to “Canada Computers” just west of College & Spadina, you will see a lot of hustle and bustle in their store. It’s a store that sells only individual parts for PC and the customers there really know computer hardware unlike the lazy and ignorant Apple Mac fanboys.

• drogggAdmin left a comment on April 25, 2011 at 11:56 am

I am just recounting my experience. For them to hand over a wireless mouse without a recipt is pretty cool an the speed in which they processed it was great – I was really in a rush job situation.

As far as some of the other points:

• Spies? I think you are a little bit over reacting or you had a different experience …
      • Overpriced? If you compare costs based on time and how much it is worth to you Macs are cheaper. PC’s often come with downtime – in fact I know 3 people who have had down time in the last couple of weeks due to viruses, bad drivers, etc. All of which usually costs more money either by having someone repair it or lost work. I’ve heard it numerous times from PC users – I have yet to spend anytime installing or downloading virus updates since 1999. That makes up the cost.
      • Linux – would love to look at it if I had the time. Mac users aren’t necessarily lazy, we just like getting on with what we want to do and Macs make it simple to do so. If you are into building computers Mac’s probably aren’t for you.
      • Spying? I’m not paranoid and I don’t have anything to hide – everything is tracking everything these days, everyone has a camera in their pocket. If anything happens, it’s on YouTube in minutes.
      • Canada computers? Great for them – I remember the days when Spadina college was all computer stores dealing only PC’s, where are they now? I just recently had to buy something and most of those stores are gone.

I’m just stating my own opinions and recounting a personal experience as well as observing the realities in their current market.

FYI:
      “Apple typically reports profit that exceeds analysts’ predictions, and its forecasts are often conservative. Apple has beaten the average estimate for earnings per share for at least 28 straight quarters, according to data compiled by Bloomberg….Net income in the fiscal second quarter rose to $5.99 billion, or $6.40 a share, from $3.07 billion, or $3.33, a year earlier, Cupertino, California-based Apple said in a statement yesterday. Sales jumped 83 percent to $24.7 billion.”

They can’t be doing all that bad.

• drogggAdmin left a comment on April 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Interesting article on CNN

I do fit the Mac stereotype!

3. Surmanjit Krishnala left a comment on August 26, 2011 at 2:08 am

Steve Jobs is out. He squeezed himself out, by himself. I can only imagine what lead up to that, but I’m sure he didn’t have a choice. I heard he was a pain to work with.

His iMacs, Mac Pro desktops, iPads and iPhones are full of standard PC components. Is there anything that Apple makes by themselves? Yes there is. It’s the operating system. That’s the only thing they make. Software.

All of their hardware is standard PC hardware. Check technical specifications before responding. Good night!

Comments are closed.